Knitting is the process of making fabrics by manipulating yarns. Different types of garments like sweaters, hats, shawls, mittens, blankets, etc., can be made with this fabric. Using hand or a machine makes knitting become a reality. Using knitting needles makes hand knitting much easier.
There are different types of knitting needles: flat needles, circular needles, and interchangeable needles.
Flat needles features a pointed end and a stopper on the other end. Circular needles consist of a pair of knitting needles, pointed on both ends. A flexible cable or cord joins them.
Interchangeable knitting needles, however, are a modification of circular needles in that it consists of a pair of needle tips joined by a detachable flexible cable, unlike the circular needles that features fixed cables.
The best interchangeable knitting needles have tips that are removable. The other end is made in such a way that it can fit into a screw. The cables, on the other hand, consist of hollow ends which allow the other end of the needle to be screwed into it, and then tightened with a tightening key.
This type of knitting needles are made of different materials such as wood, metal, bamboo, or plastic, and different materials are used for various projects. They come in sets, containing needles of different sizes and cables of varying lengths.
It features changeable needle sizes while working on a project. Also, a cable connector can connect cables to give you a very long cable.
This needles are handy, especially when knitting in the round, or making a seamless, tube garment like socks, hats, etc. This means you can knit garments without having to sew them together or make seams.
In a Rush? Check Our Top 5 Picks Of Best Interchangeable Knitting Needles
Top 10 Interchangeable Knitting Needles Reviews
Now you may be wondering, how do I get the best interchangeable knitting needles for my project? It’s easy. Here, we have reviewed some of the top quality recommendation for your perusal;
1. ChiaoGoo 7500-C Twist Red Lace Interchangeable Set
This is one of the top quality interchangeable knitting needles made from the most abundant bamboo in the world: Moso bamboo. It has a warm, natural brown color with no stains or dyes, which provides a contrast with different shades of yarn.
The needle tips are pointy and make a smooth knit. They have high quality yet come at attractive prices, compared to other brands in the market, and have memory free twist red cables.
The set consists of 5″ needles with sizes ranging from 2.75 to 10.0mm, six cables (three large and three small cables) of the same sizes 14, 22 and 30 inches, one small and one large cable connectors, two small and two large end caps, stitch maker, needle gauge, T-shaped tightening keys and a black and white fabric case with a zipper enclosure.
Here are facts you will love about this set:
- Needles are incredibly lightweight and have sharp points.
- It makes a smooth join with the cable and does not snag the yarn.
- The color is natural with no dyes or stain
- You can get at affordable prices.
However,the sharp point is only suitable for lace knitting and may not be the best needle for general knitting.
2. Knit Picks Options Wood Interchangeable Rainbow Knitting Needle Set
This is one of the best interchangeable circular knitting needles made of laminated birch wood. This set is great for knitting a variety of projects; hence both beginners and professionals can easily use it.
The needle tips are flawlessly tapered, making it easy to slip into stitches, and the cables are flexible. The different colors of the rainbow knitting needles give it a beautiful look.
This set contains two cables each of 24- and 32-inches length, nine pairs of needle tips with 4-3/4″ length with sizes varying from 3.5 to 8.0mm, two cable keys, eight end caps, and is beautifully packaged in the clear, snap vinyl needle case.
Lovable facts about this set include:
- Incredibly affordable price.
- Needles are made of wood; hence they are not slippery.
- Suitable for variety of projects.
- They come in different colors and have a beautiful appearance.
- Its cables are flexible and are perfect for making a magic loop.
Despite these lovable facts, there are few limitations of this set:
- The tips are not very sharp.
- Needles unscrew after knitting for an extended period; you may need to retighten them at intervals.
- When needles unscrew, they might snag the yarn.
3. ChiaoGoo 7400-C TWIST Tip Interchangeable Complete Set
Just like its cousin that was mentioned above, it is one of the high quality interchangeable knitting needles in the market today. If you want to knit and have fun as well, then this product is for you.
This set of needles is made from stainless steel, and it features a lifeline hole that ensures integrating a lifeline very easy as knitting across the row.
To further exert it’s competition in the industry, this set consists of 4″ surgical stainless-steel needle tips, and three cables, each of length 8″, 14″ and 22″, to make 16″, 22″ and 30″ circulars.
Also included in the set are cable connectors, end stoppers, stitch markers, a needle gauge, T-shaped tightening keys, and an elegant black and white fabric case with a zipper enclosure.
You’ll feel extraordinarily comfortable while using this product for your projects, many of its internet reviews speak highly of this product.
Certainly, these facts about this set will impress you:
- Knitting is smooth and fun.
- The 4″ tips make it possible to knit circular tubes of smaller circumferences like hats and socks.
- Possesses a smooth join that does not snag yarns.
- Its fabric case has compartments for each needle to enable you to safeguard your needles.
- Comes with a sharp point, which is ideal for delicate lacework.
However, the sharp, pointy tips may break yarns; and this may be a turn off.
4. CLOVER Takumi Combo Interchangeable Circular Knitting Needles
It’s made from premium Takumi bamboo, this interesting set of interchangeable circular knitting needles consists of 12 pairs of needle tips with sizes ranging from 3″ to 15″, and five different lengths of cords (16″, 24″, 29″, 36″ and 48″) giving a total of 60 different combinations!
This made-in-Japan set has a portable leather case with a zip enclosure for safeguarding your needles and accessories. The joint between the needle and the cable has a precision finish, and the needle is ideal for making smooth stitches. It has a light brown color, which makes it easier to work with yarns of different and darker colors.
Take a look at the amazing facts about this set.
- Possesses light color that makes it easier to see your stitches when working with yarns of different colors.
- The needles have a beautiful and smooth finish.
- Portable leather casing and designed for secure storage of needles and accessories.
- Cables are flexible and can make a magic loop.
It is however sad that this set also features the following:
- It has no end stopper.
- Connections quickly loosen out, so you may have to tighten the screw more often.
- No set for making small circulars.
5. Addi Click Set
Addi click set of interchangeable needles presents a different but unique click-in locking mechanism, unlike the screw mechanism found in other interchangeable sets, so you can easily plug, click and knit!
This set comes with ten needle tips with size ranging from 3.5mm to 10mm; and three cords of sizes 60cm, 80cm and 100cm, which will give you up to 500 different combinations in the size and length of knitting needles!
The color of the cord may vary but is mostly gold. However, the blue cord edition comes with a lifetime US warranty. This set also comes with a connector and a beautiful Addi brooch pin so you can show off your favorite brand.
It has a smooth, blunt, nickel-plated needle tips, packaged in a portable, stylish wallet case which makes it convenient to carry the needles and accessories.
Let’s bring to light the main pros of this set:
- Needle tips are smooth and easily slide into stitches.
- Up to 500 different combinations in the size and length of needles for different types of projects.
- A lifetime US warranty only for the blue cord edition.
- An easy to use click-in locking mechanism.
- Portable wallet case for your convenience.
The cons are further explained below:
- Needle tips are blunt and are not suitable for lace knitting or handling delicate yarns.
- The joins are not smooth; hence there is a tendency to cause stitch drag.
- Plugs quickly unlock, causing you to lose stitches while knitting.
6. Denise Interchangeable Knitting Needles Kit
This is a set of colorful, plastic interchangeable circular knitting needles made in the US. It consists of ten pairs of needle tips with sizes ranging from 3-75mm to 10mm, six cords of length 5″, 9″, 12″, 14″, 16″ and 19″, two cable connectors and four end stoppers all packaged in a 7″ x 8.5″ compact case for comfortable and better organization.
These knitting needles give comfort while being used. Most individuals who have used this needle before have little to no adverse experience using these needles.
The needle tips are blunt, very light, and versatile; they are used as circulars and are also converted to regular flat needles. The joins are smooth, and the connections do not easily loosen out.
Blowing the trumpet of this set, here are things that will interest you:
- They are made of plastic; hence they give a firm grip and are not slippery.
- With the handy needle tips, you can quickly transfer from one project to another without stress!
- It has smooth joins and does not snag yarns.
- The connections do not easily loosen, so you don’t have to worry about losing stitches.
- An ideal set for small projects.
- Knitting is fun with brightly colored needle tips, and it’s easier to work with yarns of different colors.
Nevertheless, you may not like the following about Denise Interchangeable Knitting Needles Kit:
- The cords are not long enough for more significant projects.
- Tips are blunt and not ideal for lace knitting.
- Set doesn’t come with a tightening key.
7. Knitters Pride Dreamz Deluxe Interchangeable Needle Set
However, each size has a different color from the rest, making it much easier to identify the needles by size.
The needles are perfectly tapered, durable, easy to knit with, and are light weighted. This set also contains four cables: one 24, two 32 and one 40-inch cable, four cable keys, eight end stoppers, size markers, and a vinyl case.
The cords are flexible and do not twist; the joins are smooth and do not snag yarns.
This set is adorable because:
- Great quality needles with sharp points, suitable for different types of projects, including a lacework.
- The colors make it very easy to identify the size of needles.
- Needle tips are light weighted, hence easy to knit with and suitable for beginners.
The turn off in this set might be the dull colours which make it challenging to see some yarns while knitting.
8. Lykke Driftwood Interchangeable Gift Set in Grey Denim Pouch
Here’s yet another great set of interchangeable circular knitting needles made of birch wood. The good news is, this set is entirely interchangeable with Knit pick and knitters Pride!
The set contains 12 knitting needle tips each of 5″ with sizes ranging from 3.5mm to 12mm, five cords (2×24″, 2×32″ and 40″), eight end stoppers, two cable connectors, and four tightening keys, all packaged in a suede treated grey denim pouch.
The wooden needle tips have a smooth finish and make for easy and fast knitting. The grey denim pouch is portable and has several compartments for storing needles and other accessories.
We love this set because:
- It is interchangeable with other sets, especially Knit Picks and Knitters Pride.
- Needle tips are smooth and easily glide through stitches.
- Suitable for working on big projects.
One thing we don’t like about this set is this:
- The pouch may have an offensive chemical odor; you may need to air it out or sun-dry.
9. Hiyahiya Interchangeable Needle Set, Sharp 5″ Limited Edition
This is a high-quality interchangeable knitting needle set made of stainless steel. The needle tips are shiny, sleek, sharp, and pointy, with a smooth finish and are light weighted. It has a keyless screw-on mechanism and perfect joins.
Each set includes: 13 pairs of 5″ sharp needle tips with sizes ranging from 2.75mm to 10mm, four cables of length 18″, 26″, 34″ and 42″, tip adapter, small cable connectors, small and large single point adapters, puppy snip, small and large panda stoppers, Darn it, knitters safety pin and a brocade case.
All these premium features of it makes it stand out as one of the industry best that would surely make you happy you purchased it.
Here are more things to love about this set:
- High-quality set.
- The set contains a variety of sizes.
- Sharp, pointy tips are suitable for lacework and other delicate projects.
The cons not withstanding are as follow:
- Cords are not memory free and easily curl up.
- A bithigh-priced.
How To Choose The Best Interchangeable Knitting Needles: Things To Consider
Having gone through the top quality interchangeable knitting needles, you’ll agree with me that there are quite a lot of them, and it may be a bit confusing to choose the perfect set for your project. Nevertheless, here are some guidelines put together to guide you through making an ideal choice.
Ease of Use
One of the things to consider when buying an interchangeable set is the ease of use. You will have to consider the set that will be convenient for your level, either as a beginner or as a professional.
Check for sets that give a firm grip and are not slippery. Also, check for sets with smooth and firm joints so they won’t snag yarns, and you won’t have to tighten the lock regularly.
Type of Project
The kind of project you’re working on will determine the kind of interchangeable knitting needles to buy. For lacework, sharper needle tips will suitable; if you’re working on larger projects, then you may need sets with longer cords.
Also, a colorful set will be ideal if you find it challenging to identify the yarns! Hence, it is necessary to consider your type of project before choosing your favorite set of interchangeable.
Material, Quality, and Durability
Interchangeable knitting needles are made of different materials: wood, bamboo, plastic, metal, etc., each with different qualities. Therefore, it is necessary to choose a set made of high-quality material to last for more extended periods.
This is yet another essential factor to consider when buying interchangeable knitting needle sets. Some are expensive, while quite a lot of them are affordable. However, we advise you go for the ones you can afford with ease.
A lot of needles are versatile, in that you can use them for different types of projects and can also convert them from circular knitting needles to regular flat needles.
Also, some sets are entirely interchangeable with sets of other brands; this gives room for different possible combinations of needle sizes and length of cords.
Frequently Asked Question’s
Q: Which Set is Best For Beginners?
Answer: There is no particular set designed for beginners. However, they should go for sets that give a firm grip, smooth but not slippery, and those with smooth and firm joins so they won’t have to worry about snagging of yarns and constant tightening of connections.
Q: Can I Work on Lace Projects With Just Any Type of Needle Tip?
Answer: Needle tips with sharp points are best for lace projects. However, blunt needle tips are also used for lacework, but the outcome will not be as perfect as when done with sharp needles.
Q: Which Do You Recommend I Should Buy?
Answer: While we have reviewed the best sets of interchangeable, we advised to go for that which seem to have best requirements and pricing that you need.
To some people, knitting is a profession, while to others, it’s a hobby. However, knitting is just fun with the right choice of the best interchangeable knitting needles.
Hence, we have carefully selected the best brands of knitting needles and provided you with fantastic guidelines to assist you while making your choice.
We hope the knowledge drawn from this piece will be of great use as you work on your knitting projects. Always ensure you purchase sets with the right accessories for easy knitting. Have fun, knitting!